|MC Slide Show|
MC Slide Show is a simple, quick and dirty PERL script that creates a set of HTML files each containing a single image which then refresh to the next page in the set. Please refer to the links provided for further information, especially the README, and example files. All of these files are included in the tarball.
calendar is my version of the Unix utility that prints out entries from your ~/calendar file. I couldn't find it on my Red Hat Linux installation, so I just wrote it. Right now it only supports "Jan 01" style entries, but it's easily enhanceable. Remember that this 'calendar' script goes in your /bin directory, but the 'calendar' text file with your notes and entries goes in your home directory (~ or $HOME).
|DOS File Chopper|
DOS File Chopper is a little utility I wrote years ago to take gigantic files and chop them into 1.44 MB slices, mainly with the intention of stealing software on floppy disks. Don't look at me that way, I was a student, damn it ... and proud of it. You can do the same thing on Unix with dd but I didn't know that back then. I don't remember how it works, but this should do the trick :
[C:\] chop.exe /?
|Multiple Windows Operating System Installation|
Multiple Microsoft OS Installation Procedure is a document compiled by Michael Daoud which helped me get Windows NT on a disk larger than 8GB. I was missing the new ATAPI.EXE . He gave me the .DOC file after he used my DOS chopper utility, and I converted it to HTML by hand because I didn't like the bloated XML that MS Word produced. Take a look. It's an exhaustive recipe for putting 7 (count them ... seven) operating systems on a single disk.
|BADMSG 3 [ Charlie ] : Malformed Message Removal Script|
Quick cut-and-paste one-line installation as root:
wget http://www.chamorro.us/rrr/badmsg.install; . badmsg.install;
QMail appears to have a problem handling headers for some messages. The reason is unclear. It may be foreign character sets, it may be bad mail software, it may be incomplete SMTP sessions, or it may be the result of a bug within QMail. If I had the source to Plesk's version of QMail, I might be able to find the exact line which causes this problem. The end result is that Outlook Express and related mail clients get stuck trying to download e-mail if they come across one of these messages. Sometimes the subject line is <nbsp> , sometimes there's half a Message-ID like this:
After staring a several of these messages, I decided that the only common characteristic they shared were that they were small ( under 1000 bytes for sure, and usually under 500 ) and that they were always missing the 'To:' header. 'From:' and 'Date:' also were rare, but 'To:' was never there. Armed with that finding, I decided to write a minor script which would remove any message under 1000 bytes which did not have that 'To:' header.
The result is the badmsg script. It simply finds all messages under MAXSIZE, then performs a grep for the header. Any message not conforming is moved to another directory.
Version 2 ( previously 9 ) of this script includes all functionality in a single script rather than spreading it out over hourly, daily, and weekly scripts. The hourly invocation is the -x (eXecute) option. The weekly archiving invocation is now the -a (Archive) option. There is now a monthly upgrade / update function ( -u ) which will automatically download and install the latest version if there any bugs which need to be fixed. There is no longer a need for a daily script generator since there are now a couple of 'FIND' commands which will search for your Maildirs under /var/qmail/mailnames/ or any MAILROOT which you define.
The malformed messages collected by badmsg in the $BADROOT/box directory need to be summarized, reported, and archived. This is done by the weekly invocation ( badmsg -a ). Malformed messages are concatenated together, mailed to the the $MAILTO address with a Subject line specified by $MAILSUBJ and then archived in $BADROOT/ar . Archiving is done by using tar and gzip to create date-stamped tarballs. All of these variable are found in the badmsg.conf file. This is the only file which should be administratively modified. It should be placed in /etc/ .
Version 3 ( Charlie ) of badmsg contained a bug which caused the upgrade from Version 2 ( Bravo ) to fail. Specifically, the new badmsg script was uploaded to the file system's root ( / ) instead of $BADROOT . If this happened to you, simply delete the badmsg scripts on ( / ), then reinstall the script from this website using the commands above. The current version is fixed and also includes some new features which were the reason for the upgrade in the first place:
Installation is done by the badmsg.install script. This is really a simple wrapper for the true installation invocation: badmsg -i . The script is downloaded using the wget utility. This script will also invoke the badmsg 8 uninstallation script if badmsg 8 is detected. Here are the two minimum commands you need to issue as root from the server command line:
wget http://www.chamorro.us/rrr/badmsg.install . badmsg.install
Afterwards, if you want to customize anything, edit the /etc/badmsg.conf file. That's it! Any other updates will be posted at the page you're reading now . The original version of this script was used on about 20 servers, each a full webhosting company in it's own right. The most active servers gather about 1000 of these messages per week. Worldwide, the script has been downloaded over 200 times. The impetus for a public release came from these two Plesk Forum posts:
I hope it helps you keep your server BADMSG free! -- MoChaMan